Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Welcome to August!

ARTIST OF THE DAY
Mat Kearney



Mat Kearney grew up playing soccer with his little brother in Eugene, Oregon.  He rode an athletic scholarship into California State University where he majored in literature.  But while in college, Mat liked to party.  He says, "I discovered the depth of depravity, the bleakness of that lifestyle. It just wasn’t working. I finally started understanding there must be more to life."

In the midst of the partying - guess who came knocking... "God found me when I was at my lowest point. That was the first time in my life when I really felt like I understood who Jesus was- it was more than knowing about Him, I felt like He met me in that time and place."

As Mat focussed on music, he and long time friend and producer Robert Marvin moved from Oregon to Nashville, TN - and that's where he and his wife Annie call home to this day.  While Mat is an outspoken Christian and many of his songs deal directly with faith issues, he's experienced some crossover hits in the secular market as well.  He likes it that way because it broadens his audience and gives him the freedom to include love songs to his wife on his albums.

One "t": Due to a nurse's error on his birth certificate, Kearney's first name is technically Mathew (instead of Matthew).  His mom never attempted to legally change it, so he's just rolled with it.

Album: Young Love

Twitter: @matkearney

Instagram: CLICK 4 PICS

Tour: CLICK HERE

Want More? CLICK HERE

Video: Ships In The Night



What artists would you like to hear featured on The Artist of the Day?

JOIN THE TEAM!
Joy 102.5 is a listener supported ministry.  You can be a part of this amazing ministry by supporting us financially. CLICK HERE to learn more!

LISTEN ONLINE
CLICK HERE for Joy 102.5!


No comments:

Post a Comment