Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Years' Eve is a weird holiday. I've never really had one of those quintessential movie-like New Years' where everyone cheers at midnight while at some fancy black tie party and then kisses someone around them. That always seemed as awkward as mistletoe to me.
Usually I was at a church event, or a friend's house or just home in my pajamas. One year I actually had a girlfriend break up with me New Years' Eve afternoon. Fortunately I had a really great friend who invited me over and we watched movies all night so that I wouldn't feel so alone.
Ever since I've been married, New Years has much improved. I always have someone who I am excited to spend the next year with there by my side. Still, usually we are in our pajamas and I almost always have to wake her up after she drifts off to sleep around 10:45. The sentiment of ringing in the new year is a great mirror of Grace. The idea of a fresh start is enticing to all of us fallen beings. But a calendar doesn't provide that forgiveness that we all know deep down we need. That can only come from Jesus.
So celebrate the dawn of 2011! Whether you will be alone or with a group of friends or a spouse - thank God for the gift of a new year. As Irving Berlin once said, "..count your blessings instead of sheep, and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings."

ARTIST OF THE DAY
Brenton Brown




Brenton has an unusual story. He grew up in Cape Town, South Africa. Studied in Oxford (Rhodes Scholar), England. And now lives in Malibu, California. While studying in England, Brenton Brown became one of the young worship leaders for the very first Vineyard UK. But just when life seemed to be roaring down the highway of success, Brown fell ill with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was forced to leave his position as worship pastor and take a sabbatical in his South African home town. It was there that he married Jude - also ill with CFS.

Brenton then recorded and released his album Everlasting God. Realizing that a change in pace and lifestyle might assist their recovery in 2005 the Browns reluctantly left London and their home church of Holy Trinity Brompton for California. Since then they have been welcomed into the Horizon family of churches and have traveled across the States and beyond leading worship in churches as far afield as Sweden and Korea. 2008 saw the arrival of a baby daughter named Bella.

Songs By Brenton Brown That You Probably Know:

Lord Reign in Me
All who are Thirsty
Come Now Is The Time
Hungry
Everlasting God

Latest Album: Adoration

New Album: Our God Is Near (Coming in March 2011!)

Want More? CLICK HERE

Scriptural Pursuit

Q: What Old Testament word means "anointed"?

A: Messiah

No comments:

Post a Comment